Demographics Served

MY CURRENT ROLE... allows me to teach art to multiple demographics. On a monthly basis I work with senior citizens through the local nursing home/extend care facilities and the VA Hospital. On a monthly basis I also work with children who have developmental behaviors. During the school year I work with rural school students, local adult students and the local after school program. In the summers I work with the local kids during the summer art program. The Art Centers website is: www.ccac.milescity.org


Wednesday, September 8, 2010

VA Hospital






I was at the the VA community living this morning. These residents are fairly mixed as far as their abilities are concerned. There can be a lot of young people and older people working/living together. We worked on a clay project that was a slab built mug. I had pre-cut the slabs into 4.5 by 11 inch pieces of clay. At about 1/4" to 3/8" thick. I brought along a bowl full of stamps and other texture materials. I demonstrated pattern, and emphasized keeping the stamp in rows and columns. I very symmetrical design. One resident placed the butterfly stamp all over the slab. It created a lot of movement on the slab and was very catching. I am going to fire these mugs to cone 10 and use the Reitz Green glaze. It breaks very nice at the edges. I brought a small vase that was glazed the same, it really emphasized to the residents the importance of stamping, patterns and how the glaze will work well with the textured pieces.

1 comment:

Karen Rae said...

Dear Sir,
I am amazed at your efforts. Are you a certified art educator. this is not to diminish your abilities it is a necessary criteria in order for me to ask you to be part of my dissertation research project. If you are I would love to include you in my research. You are amazing. Just let me know and we can talk more.